Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Nicky, We Hardly Knew Ye (Jerry Plays Pink Floyd-Like)


Now I love Pigpen, TC, Keith and Brent, Merl, James Booker and Melvin Seals.
But the best keyboard player to ever play with Jerry Garcia is Nicky. This is not my opinion, this is just a fact. And I was lucky to see Nicky Hopkins play with Jerry at my very first show in October, 1975 (which I wrote about here). And never again with Jerry.
The song I like best with Nicky is "Edward, the Mad Shirt Grinder", which is actually a cover of a Quicksilver song, while Hopkins was a member of that group.  Edward was played 16 times between September 19,1975 and December 20, 1975. I'll put a group of these here



When Jerry played the John C first solo around the 100 second mark from a November 1975 Keystone show, it certainly sounds like Pink Floyd to me (while it doesn't on the Quicksilver version). I know this is short, but this is the Grateful Seconds blog after all.  The Boston Version on October 24 at the late show is also the bomb Hmm,  this is years and years before Warren played Shine On You Crazy Diamond with The Dead and Further played Time.

Poor Nicky had health problems and obviously had some alcohol issues as evident from some of the December 1975 Winterland slurs and long less than conherent conversations he had with the audience, but I forgive yee superstar Nicky Hopkins.

In his 50 years on the planet Earth, Nicky jammed with Jimi Hendrix, played the piano overdub on "Hey Jude", played with Bowie, NRPS and :

"supplied the prominent piano parts on "We Love You" and "She's a Rainbow" (both 1967), "Sympathy for the Devil" (1968), "Monkey Man" (1969), "Sway" (1971), "Loving Cup" (1972), "Angie" (1973), "Time Waits for No One" (1974) and "Waiting on a Friend" (1981)" for the Rolling Stones

Hopkins was added to the Rolling Stones live line-up for the 1971 Good-Bye Britain Tour, as well as the notorious 1972 North American Tour and the early 1973 Winter Tour of Australia and New Zealand. 

Here are 20 acts Nicky played with before and after Jerry (not including The Dinosaurs, which opened the 12-31-81 show I went to)