Garcia said “We were great for seconds on end.” I was lucky to see Jerry play for about 1,000,000 seconds exactly. Thanks for your 1,000,000 views here . Dave Davis wrote this blog for 500 posts and 5 years from 2015 to 2019. Contact me at twitter @gratefulseconds

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Six Takes From The Last Boston Run September, 1991

Here's a little ditty from the boys courtesy of the Stucco Dat Project of perhaps the best run of shows in the past decade of the band (ok, maybe MSG, right before this is equally stellar). After 1991, the band was never as great again.  So per my Reddit friend, this should read Last Great Boston Run.

I stopped going to see the Dead in 1987 right before I moved from Berkeley to West LA. True.
I only saw 2 shows in 1987 reaching the 79 show mark (80 was a one-off in 1994 in LA along with Kirko who you see above with me from Frost 5-2-87 and Bradford 12-16-94). And my last show in Boston proper was November 14, 1978 at the Music Hall.  itunes files or flacs, just choose  By the way, I fixed the Boston Globe articles at the bottom.


And it wasn't until after Jerry's death in 1995, and my reconnecting with the advent of amazing board tapes that I discovered the last golden era from about Warlocks in 1989 through 1991. But nothing from this era quite gets me like the shows from September 1991. Now a few years back, my buddy Arnie told me that he and Liza get invited to the Boston Garden in September 1991 by our college buddy Katie to get backstage passes to the Dead. WTF. How did I stray so far, and what's this about.







Turns out that Cameron Sears was pals with Katie from high school in Maine and he was the source of this gratitude.  Someday I will tell you all about my lunch with Cameron and Peter McQuaid near the old Stone location on Broadway around 2004, but that's for another day. Back to Arnie's story. Arnie said the Dead played Dark Star and then wound up into I Need A Miracle which disappointed him (I guess expecting Dark Star>St Stephen>The Eleven etc). So I went back and found Arnie's show which turned out to be that amazing show where Bruce Hornsby played this incredible Pacobell classical  piece out of space after Dark Star that just rocked my world. I even put this in like my third blog post two years and 200 blog posts ago . So for your listening pleasure are six segments from this run

9/20/91 Help On The Way [4:04] > Slipknot! [6:04] > Fire On The Mountain [12:20]
9/21/91 Uncle John's Band > Saint Of Circumstance > Eyes Of The World
9/22/91  He's Gone > Nobody's Fault But Mine > Spoonful >
9/24/91  after Dark Star Space > Foolish Heart > I Need A Miracle > Standing On The Moon 
9/25/91  That Would Be Something > Playing> China Doll > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away
9/26/91   Dark Star [16:04] > Saint Of Circumstance > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > The Other One > Dark Star [6:40] ; Attics Of My Life > Good Lovin'
Encore Brokedown Palace > And We Bid You Good Night



https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/06/27/assessing-grateful-dead-local-legacy/aJJVIkL2YR7CeUuR8iOUWM/story.html










Night 5 and 6 :
Night 5 is whatever songs the copyright folks allow me to stream





















No comments: