1982 was my third New Year's Eve set of shows and we were waiting for the surprise. 1980 had the surprise acoustic set. 1981 had the Joan Baez acoustic set and my only Dark Star. And in 1982, we had Etta and the return of the Pigpen tunes. On December 30, we got Etta's theme Tell Mama and the first Hard to Handle since August 26, 1971!
On New Year's Eve, we got Matt Kelly on CC Rider on the second song of the show, the regular holiday visit of John Cipolina on the unusual second set closing of Not Fade Away>Deal>Sunshine Daydream (after Sugar>Sugaree opened the set earlier), and then we got a five song 35 minute third set (which remarkably is on YouTube per the link below) which featured:
1. Turn On Your Lovelight (last played at an official show show in the US at the Academy of Music in March 1972 (and then played three times during Europe 72 tour, at the surprise Amsterdam in 1981, and once at a Moscone Center show earlier in 1982 ok coldrain108, it was broken out at the moscone )
2. Tell Mama (which debuted the night before)
3. Baby What You Want Me to Do (last played in September 7, 1969)
4. Hard To Handle (these two were the only Hard To Handles played after 1971)
5. In the Midnight Hour (last played close of Fillmore East show April 29, 1971)
This was a treat. And fun. And historic, And never repeated. Etta James with the Grateful Dead