Garcia said “We were great for seconds on end.” I was lucky to see Jerry play for about 1,000,000 seconds exactly. Thanks for your 1,000,000 views here . Dave Davis wrote this blog for 500 posts and 5 years from 2015 to 2019. Contact me at twitter @gratefulseconds

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Return of Big Boss Man, A Day At The Dentist and An Eleven Jam Highlight The Most Underrated Show of 1981: December 26, 1981

"You won't let Jerry stop". This post is less about the history in the papers and more about the music.

I told you New Year's shows were special. Of Course, this show has the return of Big Boss Man, sung by Jerry with the last version from the last night of the Europe '72 tour May 25, 1972 (during the longest first set ever) by Pig. But that my friends is the very tip of the iceberg of this beauty.

First show since surprise Grateful Dead show 12-12-1981 at Fiesta Hall

First Big Boss Man sung by Jerry (stayed at NYE shows until 1984, I saw the next two 12-31-81 and 12-31-83, benefit of living in Berkeley)

Soundcheck of Big Boss Man and Cumberland

Only A Day at the Dentist

Last Ever The Eleven Jam, previously played 9-28-75 and 1-16-70. Last The Eleven was 6-7-1970

I told you New Year's shows were special

1981 was an exceptional fine year for shows from Meg Welk to Oaklands
With 3 votes, this show ties for 34th place as best show of 1981, which shows you
(a) people don't know or can't remember or
(b) people are lucky there is another fantastic show to learn about or re-remember.

An every song was played well.

Set 1

Alabama Getaway ->
The Promised Land
Candyman
Little Red Rooster
Big Boss Man                               
Me And My Uncle ->
Big River
Bird Song
It's All Over Now
Big Railroad Blues
Let it Grow

Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Estimated Prophet
He's Gone
drums
A Day At the Dentist
The Eleven Jam
Truckin'
Black Peter
Around and Around
One More Saturday Night

Don't Ease Me In






Of course there is a gfreat Charlie Miller of this apparently recorded by Joani Walker.

I knew Joani a little in Berkeley in 1981 through my friend Rick Sullivan. I remember going to a party with a bunch of Dead Heads with really really long hair like Randy and many others.  Deadheads with really really long bhair tended to be the true real deal dead fans and/or from Santa Cruz (right Katie?). We had our own Day at the Dentist that day, and I wound up with my eyes crossed and laying on the floor.



6 comments:

Renee Yurovsky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kamalesh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Distributor Vinyllantai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hijabi Girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
albina N muro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dr Siddharth Prakash said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Dentist Ridgewood NY