Garcia said “We were great for seconds on end.” I was lucky to see Jerry play for about 1,000,000 seconds exactly. Thanks for your 1,000,000 views here . Dave Davis wrote this blog for 500 posts and 5 years from 2015 to 2019. Contact me at twitter @gratefulseconds

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Jerry Channels Jimmy Page: The 38th Anniversary of a Truly Rockin' Show (Binghamton, November 6, 1977)

It was The Eleven, my 11th Dead show.  And for many years, it was my favorite show to day.  That is saying much since the Dead have officially released six full, and the best elements of a seventh of my first ten shows.  [ Note 10/24/77, this will soon be Dave's Pick 26, or the 7th consecutive 1977 show I saw since April 30 with an official GD release 4/30, 5/7, 5/28, 9/3, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6]

But Binghamton, November 6, 1977 remains to this day, a true highlight  of my live Grateful Dead Experience.  It wasn't until Betty Boards that I thought some of the other 77 eras were as good as my 8th and last show of this magical year. Amazing Jim Anderson photos of this night











In its honor, and because I now have had 5,000 visitors to this blog, that I give you 5,018 Grateful Seconds of This Show from 11 songs (there is that number again) 11 songs, 5018 seconds

Mississippi Half Step
Jack Straw
Dupree
Passenger
Music Never Stopped

St Stephen
Drums
Not Fade Away
Wharf Rat
St Stephen
Truckin

Ok, you have the whole show too in Seamons matrix or Normal  SBD form  or just go 8 minutes into the Truckin' playing in the Backgroud here and listen to Jerry turn into Jimmy Page for one night only.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Dave, why do you attest that Jerry's stop and go riffs are attributable to Jimmy Page. I've never heard of this before. I always thought it was Rock & Roll guitar thing not tied to any one performer. Musically, I supposed it is called something specific, though I don't know what that is. I've always loved it though and we sure did have fun at the show. Although I still think overall the show is slightly flawed because of that massive fuckup during Scarlet/Fire. I still remember the whole weekend being a total high!!! That's for sharing this and hitching out for the shows!!!!

Grateful Seconds said...

In http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2012/05/dead-vs-led-zeppelin.html, famed Dead historian Light Into Ashes writes: "Occasionally they could even do a funny little Zeppelin imitation, as at the end of the famous 11/6/77 Truckin':
http://archive.org/details/gd77-11-06.sbd.nawrocki.283.sbeok.shnf (after 7min in the Truckin - the Dead challenge Zeppelin on their own turf!)". This is one example of the top of my head

Grateful Seconds said...

Hi rick, by the way :)